Monday, May 12, 2008

Baby Llama

This morning was the start of a very good day. The Diamond M Ranch where we're working is a working ranch/farm in addition to having an RV park, B&B, and cabins for rent. Ronna and Blair, the owners, and parents of 5 home-schooled children, raise horses, cows, llamas, chickens, rabbits, pigs, and who knows what else. This livestock sustains their family, teaches the kids responsibility, and serves as endless learning and entertainment experiences. So, I'm sure I appeared as the stereo-type city girl when the fact that a llama had been born this morning had me thrilled, excited, and hardly able to wait to see it and take pictures. Blair, two of his children, and I hurried down to the pasture, circled slowly around the liverstock so as not to scare the mama llama (I also noticed I was the only one watching where I was stepping), and gradually got right up to the baby. She was trying to stand, a couple times made it up, just to fall back down again. She was all black and her hair was short and soft. I noticed a couple times when I tried to pet her head, she pulled it away - that's when Blair said llamas don't like their heads touched. It's surprising that it's in their genes, not a learned trait. I've heard that about alpacas, and I guess they're kissing cousins. Anyway, the mama llama stayed close by and let Blair know not to get too familiar with her offspring, but she didn't seem to mind the kids and me petting it. Blair pointed out that the baby still had her "socks" on her feet, a thick piece of skin over her hooves that protect the mama's womb shen she is inside. Hmm, I never knew that, but it makes sense. I took way too many pictures, and had little Sonoma (the soon-to-be 5-year old daughter) take a couple of me with the baby. One of these days I'll get pictures on this blog site, but one thing at a time!

Today was our first real work day, although tomorrow we'll meet with the owners to discuss what their priorities are for us to work on. Ian started making a lean-to for them today, so he was in hog heaven. I started raking the dead leaves from last fall - I found it to be a mindless job which was relaxing and allowed me time to just let my mind wander, reflect, and appreciate how fortunate we are to have this experience. After a couple hours I took a run into the town of Kenai to go to the post office and stopped for a mocha at Starbucks before returning to the leaves.

We knocked off around 4:00 and as I was making dinner a little later, Sonoma came a-knocking at the door. She came on in, made herself comfortable on the couch and proceeded to be a proper little guest. Very talkative, but not annoying. She asked if she could help me make dinner, so I invited her to stay to eat. I wrote a note which she took to her mother, and she quickly returned with her mother's permission. I've never seen a little girl eat like that - half a steak, a full baked potatoe, canned pears, and a container of yogurt with whipped cream on it! She's very sweet. Her oldest brother rides around on a uni-cycle. I'd kind of like to give it a try, but know I'd smash something. The oldest, a 15-year old girl, is very mature and serious natured. I think she has had a lot of responsibility with feeding and caring for the animals over the years. The other two, both boys, are typical boys, proud of their tree house, ride bikes everywhere on the property, and have nic-names, like Toad and Maggot, for each other. Blair, the dad, is very tall and, in Ian's opinion, resembles Weird Al Yankovich. I think he looks more like George Harrison when he had long, wavy hair. Ronna, the mom, runs the whole show - someone has to do it, and it may as well be a well organized woman, right? She keeps everything on track, running like greased wheels, yet is very sweet and layed back. It's really a nice family - I think we're going to be sorry to leave here when the time comes.

We actually got two stations on the TV today!! I was so happy so I could watch Dancing with the Stars and The Bachelor finale. I'm so glad he chose Shane! The reception was poor, but I'm not going to complaine when we didn't think we were going to have any TV at all.

That's about it for today, kids. It's just after 11:00 p.m. and just starting to get dark. Time to hit the sack, anyway. See ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home